Pennsylvania Secretary


How did you inset (mortise) the desk lid hinges with the round ends?  If you used a router bit, what was the diameter?  Lastely, what was your source for the hinges you used?

- Garold

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Our Expert

Actually, 18th century style desks use hinges with square corners. In other words, the ends of the hinges are not rounded. You can find period hardware from several sources on-line.

To mortise for the hinges I use a 1/4" diameter straight bit such as Amana Tool no.45204.

To cut the mortise, I place the hinge in position and outline the leaf with a marking knife. Then I route close to the layout lines and finish the mortise with a chisel.

© 2020 Amana Tool Corporation